Tuesday, September 13, 2011

FREE Pattern - Breezybot Newborn Pixie Hat

These patterns are for personal use only; to sell items made from this pattern, please purchase it at  http://www.etsy.com/listing/96601580/pdf-pattern-newborn-pixie-hat-0-3m. Please do not reproduce or sell my patterns.

To get regular updates of free patterns, please "like" my Facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breezybot-by-Brieshon-DAgostini/164335903598476




BREEZYBOT NEWBORN PIXIE HAT

Worsted cotton yarn
5mm hook



For subtle stripes, crochet this hat in all back loops, or alternate rows (eg - crochet odd rows in back loops, even rows in front loops)

Ch 55, turn
R 1 - Starting in 3rd ch from hook, dc 52, ch 3, turn (you may wish to change color here)
Rd 2-9 - dc 35 (skipping the last 17, which will be the chin strap), ch 3, turn
Fold in half so it forms a square, "right" side in. Slip stitch or whip stitch up the back seam, then tie off and weave in ends
OPTIONAL: SC a contrasting color from chin to chin (35 st) on the back side of the ch.
Sew a button on the corner opposite the chin strap.


If you test this pattern, please let me know how it works in the comments, or send me a message! Thank you!










As requested, here's an example of the back seam when connected by a whip stitch.


I basically just hold the two sides together and, using a yarn needle and the tail of the last row (18" tail is more than enough), sew the back loops of each set of stitches together, going through the loops, over the top, through the loops.... You should get something  pretty flat and even.


Slip stitching is a bit quicker for me, but it leaves a ridge so I usually do it on the inside and turn it inside out. It's really up to you how you like to finish it off! <:


20 comments:

  1. I just crocheted it and it looks adorable. I will be doing newborn photos this week and will give it a try for size then. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful!! If you're willing to share, I'd love to see the photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just whipped this up in less than half an hour! The kids were taking a nap and I was a little bored with no orders to do today so I searched around on the net for something cute and I came across this. It was so quick and easy to understand. Thanks for this adorable free pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so welcome! So glad you found it quick and easy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just whipped this hat up for my Sis-in-law who was looking for one for her newborn niece. I didn't make the chin strap, but did braids instead and it's SO cute! No pattern issues at all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So how do you crochet it without the chin strap?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! To make it without the chin strap, start with:

    Ch 38
    R 1 - Starting in 3rd ch from hook, dc 35, ch 3, turn (you may wish to change color here)
    Rd 2-9 - dc 35, ch 3, turn

    Finish off as described in the pattern (other than the button, of course!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naomi:

    YAY! Thanks so much for the feedback! If you have any pictures you'd like to share, please feel free to post on my facebook page! I love seeing what people make from my patterns!

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Breezybot-by-Brieshon-DAgostini/164335903598476

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there any way you could give me the finished dimensions when folded flat? I crochet a little loose and my items always end up much larger than intended when using patterns. Thanks!!

      Delete
  9. Sure! It ends up being a rectangle, about 5.5" wide (front to back) and 5" high (top to bottom). Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is there anyway someone can post a picture of what the back looks like after the whip stitch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, I added a pic of the whip stitch above. It's hard to see the actual stitching (which is the point!), but there are a ton of tutorials online to show different stitching techniques! :) Hope that helps!

      Delete
  11. Very cute!Maybe i'll make one tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am new to crocheting and this was easy and quick. And adorable! I love it! Cutest hat ever!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eek! I've had request during photo shots for hats in different colors, but I cannot afford to spend $30 a piece to get different styles of one hat, so I am SUPER glad I found your pattern. THANK YOU! When I use them I will share the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i tried the pattern....its so simple to make and it turned out to be so cute!...i love it!thank you brieshon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi :) I'd love if you could post how to make for 0-3, 3-6, and 6-12 months..

    sgreen8520@hotmail.com if you would be willing to email them to me.. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, do you have a pattern for larger sizes?
    Kind Regards
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is it supposed to decrease by a stitch each row on its own?

    ReplyDelete
  18. i made it just now! i don't have a baby head to try it on yet though. you don't reference the button placement in your pattern, so I'm not quite sure how far up to sew it on.

    ReplyDelete